GLCF awards more than $30K in Grants from Afghan Resettlement Fund
Lowell, MA – The Greater Lowell Community Foundation (GLCF) yesterday announced it had granted $30,300 to five nonprofits in Greater Lowell that are working to address the immediate needs of new refugees from Afghanistan resettling in the community.
These grants were disbursed from the GLCF Afghan Resettlement Fund, which was created last fall. The fund assists nonprofits who support refugees arriving from Afghanistan to Greater Lowell and ensures that those in need are welcomed and connected with housing, employment, transportation, food, acculturation, and other related support.
“As Afghan refugees and evacuees continue to arrive in our community, the GLCF Afghan Resettlement Fund is supporting area nonprofits providing the critical support needed to welcome and resettle this population,” said Jay Linnehan, GLCF’s President and CEO. “This work is ongoing, and we are so grateful to our generous donors who support these important resettlement efforts.”
Recipients of grants from the GLCF Afghan Resettlement Fund include:
- Andover Islamic Center – $5,000 for Afghan refugee clothing, technology, assistance with resume writing, career placement, and transportation in Lowell
- International Institute of New England (Lowell) – $10,000 for Afghan Resettlement
- Mill City Grows – $5,000 for ROOT Kitchen to cook, prep and pack traditional Afghan meals.
- Open Table, Inc. (Maynard) – $8,000 for Afghan Meal Program with IINE (Lowell)
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security – $2,300 for filing fees for humanitarian parole
Donations to the GLCF Afghan Resettlement Fund can be made online at www.glcfoundation.org or by mail to the GLCF Afghan Resettlement Fund c/o GLCF, 100 Merrimack Street, Suite 202, Lowell, MA 01852.
Established in 1997, the Greater Lowell Community Foundation (GLCF) is a philanthropic organization comprised of more than 390 funds dedicated to improving the quality of life in 21 neighboring cities and towns. With financial assets of more than $58 million, GLCF annually awards grants and scholarships to hundreds of worthy nonprofits and students. It is powered by the winning combination of donor-directed giving, personal attention from Foundation staff, and an in-depth understanding of local needs. The generosity of our donors has enabled the Community Foundation to award more than $25 million to the Greater Lowell community.